In the next five years, experts predict 28 percent of the United States population will retire. Children and families of this “Baby Boomer” generation—people born between 1946 and 1960—will soon find themselves helping elderly loved ones move.
Moving a senior family member is challenging—no one wants to upset that person, and everyone wants the move to go as smoothly as possible. This can sometimes seem like an impossible accomplishment.
The important thing to remember when moving a senior is to stay organized and calm throughout the move, say the experts at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. When moving a senior into a living facility, consider contacting management to find out what can be brought, what are appropriate moving hours, and if they have any tips for the move.
- Start packing several weeks in advance. Pack early and no one becomes overwhelmed as moving day draws near.
- Wrap small items in colored paper. This prevents items like knick-knacks from becoming lost or thrown out.
- Label boxes on the top and sides. Mark the top and sides of boxes as they’re packed. Make sure to label boxes containing breakable or sentimental items with “fragile.”
- Pack all electronic equipment in original boxes. Otherwise use low-static bubble wrap when packing these items
- Always use packing paper. When wrapping fine china and precious items, the ink from printed newsprint can bleed.
- Sealing all boxes with packing tape. This makes it easier to stack and protect belongings.
- Use boxes designed for the items you are packing. Use dish pack boxes for dishes, wardrobe boxes for clothing, etc.
“We know moving and relocating family members can be very overwhelming and emotional,” says Mary with Marketing in the Toledo/Perrysburg location. “We want to work with you and your loved ones to make sure everyone is comfortable with the process. We treat customers how we’d like our own grandmothers to be treated—with care and respect.’’
For more information, call the Perrysburg, Ohio TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® at 419-318-3688 or visit twomenandatruck.com. ❦